Thursday’s are also known as Scandal night. And this week I missed it! I kept seeing “on its new night, Friday,” and thought it was this week.
When I saw that my Facebook timeline was lit up with Scandal post Thursday night I was shocked, but I wasn’t worried I knew my DVR had my back. To say that I was horrorsprised after returning home to find that my DVR did not record is an understatement!!! I almost called 911… That was a real emergency! Believe me… This. Won’t. Happen. Again!
Thanks to my Facebook friends who are SUPER Scandal fans, I almost felt like I was watching it… Not really, but I followed along pretty well. Finally I learned why I was so confused about ‘Scandal night.’ Each week BET re-airs Scandal episodes. Of course I set my DVR to record while we were out. This morning, with my Coke in hand, I was excited and ready to watch this week’s episode. Can you imagine my disappointment when I realized it was last weeks episode, Ride Sally Ride.
Since that was a bust, I headed to ABC.com to watch the full episode. And whataya know, that was a dead-end as well. In order to watch that episode now, I’d need a verification code from my cable provider. No problem right? No! My cable provider does not participate. The only thing left to do was watch the highlights.
Are you a Scandal fan? What do you do when your DVR doesn’t record?
I’ve always enjoyed Kirk Franklin’s music since God’s Property! His music speaks to the heart uplifting, soothing, and satisfying the soul. Next week, Feb. 25, Kirk will be in my city, at my university speaking for Youth Motivational Task Force, YMTF. Am I excited? Yes. I. Am!!!
I’m trying to decide what is my favorite Kirk Franklin song… And I truly can’t decide. Through the years my favorite has been what on his current album that was speaking to me the loudest. Or what happens to be playing in my vehicle while I’m riding at the time. The Reason Why I Sing has to be one that really moved me in his early years, but Behold The Lamb of God and Don’t Cry are my favorites around Easter… I think.
I wanted to share a video, and decided on I Smile. You can’t listen to this song, no what mental state you’re in, and not feel better. Enjoy!
For the past two years Mr. Husband has come down with the flu during the month of January. This year was no different. After a few days of taking care of him, I got sick myself. I didn’t get as sick as he is, but sick none-the-less.
While I am all for taking meds to make cold and flu symptoms bearable, comforting food and drinks help to take some of the crudiness out of being sick.
- No matter how old I get, Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup still makes me feel good, and warms me from the inside out.
- The perfect pairing for chicken noodle soup is a grilled cheese sandwich, or cheese toast. Wow, grilled cheese sandwiches have evolved from since my childhood!
- When I have a sore throat something cool really soothes the burn. One of my childhood favorites drinks is old school frape’, now more commonly know as a fizz. Two scoops of any flavor sherbet, topped with ginger ale, or Sprite, stirred until smooth.
- My favorite hot drink when I’m sick is hot apple cider. Instead of making a homemade batch, after all when you’re sick who has time for that… I simply buy the a box of cider and add Red Hots. Red hots add just the right cinnamon kick.
What are some of your go-to food and drinks when you’re sick?
I have dry skin, and the cold dry air of winter makes it worse. My hands and feet are most affected. Because I wash my hands A LOT, and don’t hydrate right away they’re extra dry!
I’m still in search of a better way to treat my hands. They seem to soak up lotion, and remain dry and at times prickly. Once I tested my ChapStick with moisturizer on my hands. I love the way it feels on my lips, what if it could do the same for my hands. In my Si Robertson voice… Ahhhhh Naw! I couldn’t hold my pen and didn’t want to get gunk on my keyboard, therefore having to wash my hands again. ChapStick AINT for hands! Each year I’m trying to find the right rehydrating hand cream, without the slick and gunk. If you know of something… w!
Feet on the other hand, I think I’ve found what works for me. Someone posted on my Facebook page a recipe for a foot soak. It took me a while to finally try it, but was surprised and delighted at how well it worked! Mix 1/4 cup Listerine (any kind, I used blue), 1/4 cup vinegar, and 1/2 cup warm water. Soak your feet for 10 minutes, then wipe off the dead skin. If your feet are extra crusty, you may want to soak longer, or try it more than once. As maintenance, I use Palmer’s shea butter on my feet daily.
Instead of soaking Mr. Husband slathers Blue Star Ointment on his feet (after a shower), puts on socks and goes to bed. The next morning his feet are smooth! He does this maybe once a month, or when needed. Blue Star also helps get rid of fungus’. We learned the ointment and socks trick from a pedicurist (It’s not a word, but I’m going with it) to the elderly.
Do you have a good foot soak, or trick for winter hands and feet?
Tis the season of college bowl games, NFL Playoffs, and Super Bowl. Is it just me or does EVERY body have a bowl game! There’s the Capital One Bowl, Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Go Daddy Bowl to name a few. It seems like bowl season last all month. Each year the list seemingly grows.
Although there is football playing at my house all year long thanks to ESPN and their umpteen packages of ESPN that cater to college, professional, and even football from yester years. From Christmas to February there is an increased amount of football on television, and our television is on every one of those games. My husband and son are huge college football fans. In total I may watch a combined one game, more like a composite… a few downs of this one, and a few of that one.
Instead of sitting around pretending I’m watching everything that’s going on I’ve come up with a list of things to do INSTEAD of watching bowl games.
1. Organize my desk/home office – My desk is a dumping ground for my family. Anything they want me to read, or don’t know what to do with ends up there. This stack that has grown into a mound needs to be sorted through. A few things should be filed, and the rest thrown away. This year I want to be better organized and found some awesome pins on Pinterest to help me accomplish it.
2. Box up Christmas decorations/tree – If the tree and decorations don’t come down soon, we’ll be decorating it for Martin Luther King holiday, Presidents Day, and eventually Valentine’s Day. Seriously, I want my space back… It’s in my home office.
3. Plan my menu for the next two weeks – It’s my responsibility to plan my family’s meals and cook them. For some meal planning is a chore, but I love it. Although I think I’ve gotten pretty good at it, I’m always looking for tips to make meal planning easier.
4. Make a cookies. A couple of years ago, my youngest daughter was into making cupcakes. Last year was more of just desserts, but I’m declaring 2014 as the year of the cookie in my house. Do you have any good cookie recipes?
5. Blog – I’ve really been neglecting my blog lately. This time could easily be spent catching up, and writing a few post – scheduling them ahead. A while ago I started an editorial calendar. Maybe I should try that AGAIN.
6. Call a friend who’s not watching bowl games either. I have several friends who are not watching football, and we’ve not had much time to connect during the holidays. While the men are all wrapped up in football, a real conversation is welcome.
7. Plan our spring break trip – It’s my middle daughter’s senior year, and we’ve been discussing spring break since October. We’re thinking St. Louis! Making final plans for spring break… a great distraction from football!
Are you watching ALL that football has to offer right now, or are you looking for a Great Escape? I’d love to know what you’re doing instead.
I love a good flash mob! This tribute to Mandela (also known as Madiba or Tata meaning father), by the Woolies and Soweto Gospel Choir moved me to tears.
The Urban Dictionary defines Life hack as: A tool or technique that makes some aspect of one’s life easier or more efficient.
- Unclog Your Toilet Without a Plunger One of my favorites on Popsugar.com
- 20 Life hacks to Save You Money – My fav of these has to be identifying keys
- 27 DIY Beauty Hacks Every Girl Should Know
- 25 Mind-blowing Food Prep Techniques to Save You Time and Frustration These are AMAZING!
- Technique: Cooking Bacon in Water
- 34 Creative Kitchen Hacks That Every Cook Should Know
And there are hundreds more. What are some of your favorite life hacks?